Do not rest on the polls. The Republicans stole the 2000 election. They stole the 2004 election.
They will steal this election if we let them.
What we all must do to win:
- Talk to all our co-workers, friends and family. Those conversations are the most important conversations in an election. Tell the employment is going up. The auto industry is back. Osama Bin Laden is roasting in hell.
- Get some literature and knock on your neighbors’ doors. Tell them why you’re with the President.
- Volunteer with Obama for America or your union’s political effort.
- Get involved in stopping voter suppression. Raise some hell. Let the Republican elected officials who want to steal this election know you are watching, and their position is at stake.
- Get serious and get urgent, and get my book Playing Bigger Than You Are: A Life in Organizing for tips and inspiration. When you read how many have to risked their lives, you will definitely be ready for the phone bank with the good pizza.
Stewart Acuff is America’s best-known and foremost labor organizer. He is the former organizing Director of the AFL-CIO. Acuff has also written two books: Playing Bigger Than You Are: A Life in Organizing, and Getting America Back to Work, coauthored by Dr. Richard Levins.Tags: acuff, elections, obama, stewart acuff, vote